Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Entry #5

Evaluation of two pieces of literature for cultural issues that would hinder the ability of ELL students to comprehend the text.

Since I teach in the secondary world, I asked Heidi if I might use novels that are used within the high school curriculum.  She agreed.  So as a result, I am analyzing the two novels routinely taught in our English department to a variety of students; The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and Hamlet by William Shakespeare.

Hamlet of course is the tragic story of a young prince of Denmark who loses his father and is visited by his ghost to announce that he was murdered and that Hamlet must avenge his fathers death.  In the mean time, Hamlet's mother has is remarrying (to his uncle who is also responsible for the murder).  It has twists and turns and ends with the death of almost every character (a tragedy by definition).  It reads at a 10th grade Lexile so already presents a challenge to ELL students.

1)  ELL students would have some of the same issues with comprehending this text as regular students due to the use of Victorian English.  Things are further compounded though as the structure of English utilized breaks patterns that the ELL students are just starting to master.  This creates confusion and frustration as it appears that the rules have changed in the middle of the game.

2)  The background knowledge of ELL students may not be able to comprehend the intricacies of court life in Europe.  The idea of a prince not becoming king or even the idea of how leadership is inherited could through ELL students off.

3)  One of the main concepts of the plot involves the existence of ghosts and visitations by non-human entities.  This is a cultural element that many ELL students can struggle with or be able to have an easier time connecting with.  The many ideas of afterlife and spiritual foundations are very diverse and are a core to the personality of the student.  By inadvertently challenging the belief structure, a personal blockade of comprehension can be created.

4)Vocabulary is ultimately going to create an issue for students.  European names, places, and slang would all create problems.

Ways to teach Hamlet to ELL students.  First thing is to get a copy of Shakespeare Made Easy version of Hamlet.  This is a version of the text where students are able to read English version alongside the original.  This is imperative to provide scaffolding for the ELL who are not beginning readers of English, but still have deficiencies.  Second is to get a copy of the graphic novel of Hamlet. This is a version of the text that reads like a comic book.  Third is to have students view a copy of Hamlet starring Kenneth Branaugh.  This is the complete version of the text in order (most other film versions are out of order of the original text).  This provides both visual version as well as an audio version of the text that students can see, listen to and then read aloud to partners.  It would also be extremely important to have collaborative activities that breakdown the reading and allow for examination of vocabulary and how it connects to ideas.

The Alchemist is the tale of a shepherd boy in Spain who decides to embark on a journey looking for treasure in the Pyramids of Egypt.  Along the way he meets all sorts of characters that encourage him along the way even though none know what the treasure truly is at the end.  It starts as a search for wealth and morphs into the tale of inner value of trying to achieve our dreams. It reads at an 8th grade Lexile level and is used with 10th and 11th grade students.

1) Again, Background knowledge will interfere with the ability for comprehension.  The idea of open markets, for example, could potentially be something students are familiar with.  At the same time, all open markets are different depending upon location.  This text also requires a good sense of geography knowledge due to the fact it is a journey across Spain and North Africa.

2) Vocabulary is a constant dilemma for ELL students.  This book is no different.  Names (ie. Fatima, Santiago) come from a range of cultures so some name will be familiar and some will not depending upon the student context.

3) Along the way, the main character meets individuals that have specific traits that students may not be used to.  There are liars and thieves, individuals who pretend to be something in order to hide their true identity, young individuals who have more wisdom then their elders and a variety of other personalities.   This is compounded by the fact that nearly all of them willingly aid the main character without knowing if there is anything in it for them.  This may be a concept that students will struggle with depending on culture and background.

4) Finally, students will continue to have issues with phonics and the sounding out of words.  A unique thing about this text is that it is translated into English from Portuguese.  As a result, there are words that do not always flow together and may seem appear unnaturally connected to those learning the English language.

Ways of teaching The Alchemist to ELL students. First, there is an advantage with this text as it has been published in 150 countries and translated into 60 languages.  As a result, there is a good chance that it has a copy in the students native language.  Therefore the text can be used in conjunction with the students native language, hence reducing the gap in comprehension.  It also then allows the text to be something that can be used as a bridge between the native language and English.  The plot of the text is also something that many of these students will be able to comprehend as it is about dreams and finding inner strength to achieve for ones self what they desire.  On top of that, it is about a cross country adventure, something many of the ELLs at TRHS have experienced in their journey to our school.

6 comments:

  1. I admire your suggested steps to make such difficult texts more comprehensible for your ELL's. As an elementary school teacher, the most difficult text I have experience with is the fifth grade social studies book! Even as a native English speaker, I needed help deciphering Hamlet when I read it as a sophomore in high school. I remember thoroughly enjoying Hamlet because of the accompanying explanations that were side by side with the Shakespeare text. I wonder if there are textbooks written for ELL’s with a similar format.
    Cheryl Schall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is interesting that you mention that ELL and native speakers alike will struggle with understanding Hamlet. I agree and having taught Shakespeare to 9th graders in the past, I can attest to the fact that while teaching it we focused a lot on the language. Teaching Shakespeare naturally requires teachers to slow down and focus on the language and vocabulary, something they don't always consciously do. I think that applying your suggestions of using alternate versions of texts, and film, will help the ELL students understand the text on a deeper level, but these strategies should not only be limited to Shakespeare's texts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, these are indeed difficult texts to teach at the secondary level, with the added layer of 2nd language. Enabling students to use study supports, such as Hamlet Made Easy, is an excellent suggestion. I usually consider these strategies to be potentially supportive of native English speakers who have poor vocabulary and background knowledge as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you chose to explore books intended for high school students. I teach K-12, so I understand the differences between books at the primary level with the books for secondary. I think it's fantastic that many books are published in many languages, and I would definitely utilize that strategy. I have also heard that many of the classics have been made into graphic literature pieces. I actually used one to help a special education student with understanding MacBeth. I know that many of these novels are classics and that it is important for students to have exposure, but I also wonder if teaching the dialect of the books can cause more frustration than good. I know that Moby Dick was a must read when we were in junior high, and I hated it. It wasn't until I was an adult that I learned to appreciate the piece. I really appreciate your strategies because I'm not sure how I would tackle this issue if we had any ELL students in the high school. However, thanks to your post, I have some ideas of how to begin. Thank you for this well-written piece and the thought provoking ideas.

    :)Helena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt, I can't say that I remember Hamlet, it didn't stay with me well because I didn't have enough background knowledge to hang it on. I can say that I remember Hamlet as a TASK. It could have been more relevant to me if we'd had the sidebars to help us to understand the customs of that time and the language. I agree with Helena that these books are classics and valuable records of literacy and history, but perhaps they do more harm when not properly scaffolded. Imagine how much I could have learned if Hamlet were taught in combination with the cultural history of Shakesperean time. I have an enormous thick book that's in storage right now, but I love it because it shows what was happening all around the world in a year: scientific developments, explorations, conflicts between countries, the politics of the time. It's probably not completely accurate, but the idea is that nothing occurs in a vacuum and so many things are more connected than we know unless we have a chance to see the big picture.

    There are so many more options now for making literature accessible. I am grateful to hear that there is excellent thinking going on out there! Thank you for your ideas. I am thinking about how to apply them to the lower grades.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy -

      This is a constant debate among High School English teachers; teach some of the classic texts (with proper support) or by pass them for more modern novels. In our building, we have taken a slightly different approach as we try really hard to make our English classes align with the Social Studies course. We call it a Humanities approach. It does not always work out as students have choice, but for the most part students that have a typicsl English course at each grade also have an aligned History course. This allows us to teach about the cultural history, new ideology of the time and the continuities that were in place during the time of the text being evaluated and studies in English. It is a different curriculum. For example when teaching the romantic era and time of world revolutions including the scientific, students are exposed to both the art of satire and the novel Frankenstein. Students get a whole new perspective on both by connections made to historical events. Then once the modern examples of the same concepts are presented within the context of the skills, students have a greater familiarity with what each text means and how it functions within the modern world. These are the classes that ELL students become mainstreamed into within our building. Not always the best fit, but allows for some scaffolding to take place between content.

      Thanks for the input. - Matt

      Delete